Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I currently have an HSA set up through my employer. Instead of having my employer deduct my HSA contributions I'd like to do it myself by writing checks to the account. I know that these amounts are exempt from SS tax, so at the end of the year how do I get back the extra SS tax that I paid out through my employer?

Would it be through line 66 "Excess Social Security tax withheld" of form 1040?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.