No. of Recommendations: 0

Reiterating a couple other earlier posts here.

Consider High Speed Access Corp. - HSAC.

It's viewed by some as being in a similar position to ATHM just over a year ago.

I nibbled last week with the intention of seeing how this one would behave. The thing took off like a shot. It gapped up slightly on Friday on a spike in volume. I'm debating whether to grab more before it goes through the clouds and out of sight. I'm a little gun shy about averaging up here after taking a couple sucker punches recently in some other names but this one looks promising.

The Fool snapshot says:

High Speed Access Corp. is a provider of high speed internet access via cable modem and traditional dial-up services to residential and commercial end users in exurban areas (fewer than 100,000 homes passed). HSAC also rents cable modems to its endusers.

The story is more compelling than the above description. HSAC offers what amounts to turnkey broadband service overlays to local cable companies. These systems enable local cable companies to offer broadband data services to their customers. A key selling point is HSAC runs the data portion of the service without requiring the cable companies to become internetworking experts.

Some impressive names are putting money into this company (e.g., MSFT, CSCO, Vulcan Ventures, Com21, Saloon Gal <g>).

Is anyone else in?

Thanks,
Peter

Long ATHM, CSCO, HSAC

HSAC closed 9 Jul 99 @ 47.6875 up 8.5625

</Another Cable Broadband Play>
Print the post Back To Top
<Too Many Gaps?>

Earlier I posted:

"[HSAC] gapped up slightly on Friday on a spike in volume. I'm debating whether to grab more before it goes through the clouds and out of sight. I'm a little gun shy about averaging up here after taking a couple sucker punches recently in some other names but this one looks promising."

In considering the decision to buy more HSAC I thought about Rat's warning on stocks that gap up: they frequently come back to fill in the gaps. After a quick trip to Clearstation I realized that HSAC has holes in its chart like swiss cheese. One of the things that's making the qualitative analysis difficult is the amount of noise (i.e., hype) around this stock.

My question is whether I'm reading this chart correctly?

If this thing really is flying on momentum rather than real power it seems to me that HSAC is likely to get whipsawed back to levels ~25% below its current price. In my opinion that's not a good near term trade. Instead it may make more sense to wait and pick this up later after it corrects.

Can any of you TA types give guidance on the idea of a stock "filling in the gaps"? Does the HSAC chart have too many gaps for a near term trade?

Thanks,
Peter

Long HSAC

HSAC closed 9 Jul 99 @ 47.6875 up 8.5625

</Too Many Gaps?>
Peter,

>>Some impressive names are putting money into this company (e.g., MSFT, CSCO, Vulcan Ventures, Com21, Saloon Gal <g>).

Is anyone else in?
<<

That's an impressive group. And the one I find most reassuring is SaloonGal. It's no surprise to the regulars here, I'm sure, to want her on your "team".

This one looks tempting. And Rat is high on UCOMA (another worthy). Personally have been watching ATML on its steady climb (still only at 30, but already moving strongly). The problem for me right now is the time of year! I am seriously considering exiting a bunch of positions to buy back on opportunity in a month or two. And it would be tempting to get sucked in at trading highs (of course thinking they will run further). That's the trap of a summer rally. Historically, we can expect the low point of the year over the next few months. If you like a stock now, won't you just love it a few (or a lot) points lower at the bottom of the late summer slump? Of course, with some they could keep soaring...or we could have an atypical year. Sure, that's possible, just not as likely right now. From where I sit, it seems like a good time to take a few profits, prune a few also-rans, raising cash for those great buying opp's. this fall. The three above go on the "watch closely" list to be bought on weakness. Keep reminding myself that the market (i.e. stock price) must continually be separated from the companys' value, or potential. Sometimes (ie. 1-12 month outlook) there seems so little correlation between the two - although over the longer term (ie. years), clearly there is. That is why the Gardners are correct (longer term), but so is Rat! (shorter term).

(Please, no messages from posters instructing me on the folly of so-called "market timing". I know it's impossible over the long haul. But, it's very foolish to look at the annual cycles which occur year after year, and simply ignore them. Who was the guru who advised investing in stocks only between November and July??)

-Mark
No. of Recommendations: 1
watch for block buying in HSAC..is it spiking on daytradeing bloat..(100-500 shares) or large blocks (5000.25000 shares)..if it is the former...watch out below...the later...got legs...it's all in the trading....beWatchfulRat
Some impressive names are putting money into this company (e.g., MSFT, CSCO, Vulcan Ventures, Com21, Saloon Gal...

You crack me up. I nibbled a bit on 7/1, and I'm already up > 80%. Go figure... Better lucky than good.

SaloonGal follows the $$, especially P. Allen's money. It's still a small holding for me, but I do love the stock, the story, and the run-up. As always, neither sharply higher nor sharply lower in the S/T would come as a surprise...

Maria
watch for block buying in HSAC..is it spiking on daytradeing bloat..(100-500 shares) or large blocks (5000.25000 shares)

where do you get that info-that is- the size of the trading blocks-
thanks js
No. of Recommendations: 1
register for www.freerealtime.com..this is a free site..amd you can see it all..unless you have level 2??...allseeingRat