Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1128853

It seems that there is nothing keeping iPlanet from being ported to Linux, their customers all want it, and yet Sun refuses to port it.

This article is so inaccurate its hard to believe.

I work for iPlanet. I know all of these products very well, and I also know what customer demand has been for this software. (Disclaimer: all of the information below is public. Nothing here is confidential or non-public.)

iPlanet has sixty some products. Each product is ported based on market demand. This range from the very high-end e-commerce products such as BuyerXpert which is only available on Solaris, to the integration server which is available on all kinds of obscure platforms including the mainframe. Application Server is the only product that I ever had a customer ask for on Linux that we couldn't ship on Linux. And we've already announced that Linux support for that product is coming this summer.

In short, the articles statement that the entire software suite is available on Windows, HP/UX and AIX is complete nonsense. iPlanet has more software available on Linux than it does on HP/UX. This despite the fact that we don't sell a lot of software for Linux. (We do this to help developers.)

But the article leaves out a lot of interesting facts about Sun and Linux.

* Sun is the largest Linux hardware manufacturer because of its Cobolt line of products.
* Sun contributes to many desktop Linux projects such as OpenOffice, NetBeans, and GNOME. (I personally think that OpenOffice/StarOffice is critical to Linux's desktop success.)
* Sun contributes to many _server_ Linux projects such as the Java JDK, Grid Engine and Tomcat.
* Sun just signed a deal with Lineo to distribute real-time Linux on its UltraSPARC chip.

I just got back from LinuxWorld. Sun was a major sponsor. We had a very impressive booth that showcased all of Sun's work in Linux. We had a lot of visitors and were very well received. Check out http://www.sunsource.net/ for all of the latest and greatest about Sun's open source efforts.

The press seems to have latched onto this idea that Linux is bad for Sun. I couldn't disagree more.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.