Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
This might be old news, but here is a link to a new report on the power industry brought to you by people affiliated with George Gilder:

http://www.powercosm.com/powerart/PowerReport.pdf

I say it might be old because the only stock it has in its list (a la GTR) has a reference date of 9/21/99. Included with my hard copy of this month's GTR (you know, the one that added MOT, but never mentioned it) is a promotion for this new Huber Mills Power Report (only $295, a 50% discount).

The report itself is interesting and looks like it should generate lots of gorilla discussion. A few quotes:

"Hundreds of billions of dollars per year are going to be invested in new technologies to move, condition, store, and distribute electrons." at 1.

"Today, PowerChip technology is crouched at the sweet spot of its learning curve, at about the same point Intel occupied in its business in 1979: poised for three-digit annual growth, with production volumes doubling or redoubling inside a year, yielding Moore's-Law-like accelerations in switching capacity per dollar." at 2.

"PowerChip is as central to the transformation of the power industry as the microchip was to the transformation of the computer industry." at 6.

"All the standard projections about the prospects in this market are far too low, underestimating both the progress in PowerChip technology, permitting the efficient and safe interfacing of small generators with the grid, and the demands of the SmartChip." at 7.

"Empowered by the PowerChip, these technologies can collectively deliver the power of the information age with a standard of reliability so far beyond the capabilities of the old grid that it defines a new market, and a constellation of new industries with glittering margins." at 8.

Sounds pretty neat.

A little about Peter Huber, co-author of the report. He is a lawyer and I do not know why he is qualified to do this, but then I am a lawyer too and I am trying to understand this stuff. Huber was one of Supreme Court Justice O'Connor's clerks (only the best and brightest get to be Supreme Court clerks) and has written two books (that I know of) on "junk science" in litigation that have generated a great deal of discussion in the legal world. The first book was quoted with approval by the U.S. Supreme Court in Daubert v. Merrell Dow Pharms., a 1993 case that has transformed the standards relating to the admissibility of expert testimony on scientific issues (largely along the lines advocated by Huber). Almost my entire practice relates to Daubert and I can say that Huber was years ahead of his time. Unfortunately, some of Huber's research is not as careful as it might have been; e.g., there are lots of law review articles poking fun of all of the errors in Huber's first book. The bottom line is that, like Gilder, Huber is a bright guy, but, as always, do your own research.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.