Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
So far ahead they don't think they need to look behind. I wonder if this is justified?

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-yo...

All Our Patent Are Belong To You

Yesterday, there was a wall of Tesla patents in the lobby of our Palo Alto headquarters. That is no longer the case. They have been removed, in the spirit of the open source movement, for the advancement of electric vehicle technology.

Tesla Motors was created to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport. If we clear a path to the creation of compelling electric vehicles, but then lay intellectual property landmines behind us to inhibit others, we are acting in a manner contrary to that goal. Tesla will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use our technology....

Is this good for the company or not? Is this good for the world or not? Does this send the stock up or down?

My answers are yes, yes, and down then up. The patents work just as well defensively in this mode and that's all they are useful for anyway.

-IGU-
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I tend to agree, right now the electric car industry needs some cooperation to get supercharger stations and charging stations online. They also met with BMW regarding use of the Supercharger and sharing charge stations which is big.

Right now there seem to be three companies with much interest in electric, BMW, Tesla, and Nissan. If they can get BMW and Nissan on board then we might see a much bigger supercharger network coming online in the next 3-5 years which would be good for all companies.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I agree as well. I believe Musk is sly like a fox. If he can get other companies to adapt his charging methods the the charging network becomes a good source of income. Similar is true about other aspects of his technologies, they become cheaper and he possibly becomes a supplier to other manufacturers. At this stage it makes great sense.