No. of Recommendations: 4
We just put out our first feeder today and saw our first hummingbird on it tonight at 7:45!

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Vermonter,

I know there is a time difference for a reason, but I guess it still amazes me when people report their first hummers.

Our feeders are normally out in late February/early March.

Some of our black-chinned will arrive then. They start their nests pretty quick. I brush our dog, Bisquit, on the front porch. I let the wind take the little mats of white fur to where ever they land. I have observed hummers tease a few long hairs from them and fly off. A few minutes later, they get a few sips at a feeder, get a little more fur and zoom off.

Rufous also come through about the same time on their way to the west coast and up into Alaska for nesting. They are ruthless protectors of a feeder. They will chase all others away until they leave.

Ruby-throated are normally the last to arrive and are in the minority. We probably have 10 black-chinned for every ruby-throated that nest here.

Our coral bell honeysuckle normally blooms all "winter." DW will often spot the first arrivals there if we don't already have feeders out.

However, I was on the front porch getting cooled off on February 22 this year after cutting brush along our driveway. As I was sitting there, a black-chinned and hovered up and down the 3 chains we hang feeders on! The little rascal knew where the feeders were from previous years.

I love the little dynamos but sometimes it is dangerous to go out on the porch when 15 or 20 of them are chasing each other around the feeders and zooming from one end of the porch to the other.

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx
No. of Recommendations: 1
Good morning, Gene!

Our hummers usually show up around Mother's Day, and one will almost always hover outside our family room picture window as if to say "Hey -- where's the chow!?" We hang one feeder right near there, off that second floor porch, so we can watch them feed. Another will go out on the front porch when we know they've arrived, so I guess it's time!

Amazing how they find us every year. We're on several acres on this mountain, and yet they find our house year after year -- different generations, I know, but still...

Yes, there are later several around and they DO dogfight! We wish we could keep the hornets away from the feeder, too, but they manage, I guess.

Nice to see our crabapple about to bloom and the cherry tree in full bloom now, with plenty of honey bees around.

Enjoy!

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 4
Amazing how they find us every year. We're on several acres on this mountain, and yet they find our house year after year -- different generations, I know, but still...

There was a Nature program on PBS a few weeks ago that showed they not only return to the same area, but also the same branch of a tree to nest. They showed a nest where the bottom of it was what was left of last year's nest. They use fur, moss, lichen, and spider webs to make their nests. I've also read somewhere that they will nest below a raptor nest for the safety it provides.

AC *guess they are too small a bite to bother about*
No. of Recommendations: 2
put up my first feeder and stared a baltimore oreo war. in between we get a hummer. real cool.