Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hum.....you posted some very interesting points, Brian.

I was mostly trying to play Devil's Advocate. In the past, I've gotten myself pretty bent out of shape over what turned out to (initially) be minor misunderstandings, miscommunication, or just different operating perspectives. The tantrums, however, strike me as an indisputable red flag.

A call at 11:30pm also strikes me as a red flag; unless you have an advertisement, precedent or verbal agreement regarding late hours. Based on the level of communication you've implied -- neither of you felt comfortable about broaching the missed meeting, directly? -- I'm going to assume that you hadn't discussed late-hours. Calling at 11:30pm without invitation, without emergency, exceeds the bounds of courtesy, if not propriety.

I won't claim speak to for "most of us"; but probably quite a few people on this board chose self-employment in part to get away from toxic people in the work environment. It kind of defeats the purpose if we go back and accept toxic people as clients. Of course, it's super difficult to say no; and so much more so if you're starting; or worried about grocery money.

You're privy to a whole lot of observations and details about this client that will speak to your intuition. Misunderstanding or no, if you're intuition tells you this guy is a flake, he is probably a flake -- no need to find a "more rational" reason.

-Brian
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.