Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3

I was thinking of withdrawing the maximum amount from my 401k (up to $46700+/-) every year, use what we need to live on and invest the rest,

Why are you withdrawing to invest?

If you want the money to invest in better products than your 401K offers, DO a Rollover to an IRA. You will not be taxed on the rollover.

Keep in mind that these are traditional accounts and will be subject to RMDs in the year you turn 70 1/2. This will be added to your income.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.