No. of Recommendations: 0
Yea, why?
Print the post Back To Top
Me suspect an "OOPS" is in order...
No. of Recommendations: 6
I protest.

My message is that we'll be watching you.

"You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your board closings. And yet I'm one of the lucky ones. People are suffering. People are dying. Entire message boards are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk about is cannibis and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you!
No. of Recommendations: 5
No oops. Tony has now posted a message about why it is closed. While I agree that the politics should go and that some of the humor should join it, why not just police the board aggressively instead of killing off the whole resource?
No. of Recommendations: 16
Whatever happened to the Tony I used to remember. He has changed quite a bit from the fun-loving school teacher before he became a TMF employee and now TMF sheriff. Hurl has minor stuff compared to Political Asylum. Tony states "this board no longer has a place in our forum". There is far worse boards on TMF than Hurl. Closing a board because you don't want to do your job of removing offending posts is quite harsh.

PSU
<< Closing a board because you don't want to do your job of removing offending posts is quite harsh.

PSU>>

Too bad, but perhaps that will reduce the beefing about having a post pulled.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 13
Too bad, but perhaps that will reduce the beefing about having a post pulled.

I had this post pulled the other day - "It wasn't a good example to pick. Alcohol should have been picked. Guns kill other people. Alcohol kills other people. Yet Walmart continues to sell alcohol in its stores. If the store was consistent in protecting public safety, they would stop alcohol sales."

Still scratching my head to determine what posting guidelines I violated.

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 1
Talking about killing people is probably frowned upon would be my guess.

And there you go, doing it again and reposting something that was pulled. A bad practice.

So a post gets pulled. Big deal. Just move on.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 5
It makes no sense, to close HURL, so many years of joy, unique postings, just locked from future additions? If it were political individuals, we all deal with it on our own, graylings abound on many boards, why close a decent gathering spot?

With all the BS going on, we all need a bit of humor out there...
With all the BS going on, we all need a bit of humor out there...

Old mission statement:
To educate, amuse, and enrich.

New one:
Make the world smarter, happier, and richer.

It seems Hurl was tossed out with Amuse. Are we happier yet?

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 4
See this HURL post.
Click the link.

It appears to have been prophetic?

https://boards.fool.com/oh-the-good-old-days-34287278.aspx

🙂
ralph
And the Blondes shall rise from the ashes.
Well, are other boards also at risk?

Did an individual get under their skin a bit?

Where lies a replacement for this daily perk?
No. of Recommendations: 2
Where lies a replacement for this daily perk?

I wonder if someone requests a "Light and Fluffy Humor" board, they would turn down the request.

PSU
Check out message 2 on the board for its mission statement--

https://boards.fool.com/welcome-read-this-first-11483806.asp...

If only we had another Washu ^O^ to take care of it!!
No. of Recommendations: 3
HURL wasn't one of my boards, but I find this a deeply distressing situation. Why? Because of the great distress and sense of loss I'm encountering from people I know on other boards who are reacting to this news.

Such as....

"HURL was my go-to board. I won't be around the 'fool very much anymore. Used to lighten my day...sigh."

=sheila
use TV ratings<i\>

Yeah. I thought the sex related posts might have been part of the issue.

🤨
ralph
No. of Recommendations: 20
I have always acknowledged that this is the Fool’s playground, they are free to set the rules as they see fit. I reiterate that sentiment again, here. But (and you knew there was a but...)

I’m rather surprised that this was done with no warning. Nobody ‘official’ went onto the board and said “Hey, guys, too much politics. Too many off color jokes. We’re not comfortable with this: either straighten it out or we’re going to have to close the board.”

Death penalty before anybody even knows a crime was committed. I always warned an employee when they were on thin ice and gave them a chance to straighten up. I know that having a TMFer having to wade through “alerts” and delete posts, but that’s the breaks.

No place to put jokes? OK, I guess when I hear a good one I’ll have to put it on MeTAR or Mechanical Investing. Ha ha ha. I make a joke.

Now somebody comes in and says “This thread is closed.” Harrumph. Not happy.
No oops. Tony has now posted a message about why it is closed.

~~~

Got a link? I can't locate...
Thanks...
There doesn't seem to be a way of recommending and entire message thread since I would like to do that with this one. Many posters have stated thought like mine regarding the unfortunate circumstance of closing a board that I an many others have found to be entertaining and were able to work around the "issues".
HURL was dreadful; but I don't think it should have been closed. Offenders should have been warned and banned.

It was easy enough never to go there and p-box the worst offenders who one might see elsewhere.

Wessex
No. of Recommendations: 15
To anyone reading this post:

Closing the board did not improve the fool in any form or fashion.

Howie52
<<Closing the board did not improve the fool in any form or fashion.

Howie52>>

It provides a warning that posting ferociously hate filled and bigoted material is a way to get banned from the Fool and have boards closed if it becomes pervasive.

A Fool was permanently banned a couple of weeks ago, which led his sympathizers to say how unfair it was and how they should get together and move to another provider. No one was introspective enough to comment on the repeated hate and bigotry that characterized a good many of his posts.

Personally, when I get a post pulled, I read it over carefully to determine what the Fool was objecting to, and try to avoid that in the future. The reason for it being pulled is usually apparent in my experience.

Sometimes I just go too far. But mostly I try to keep my remarks from being pointedly offensive.

Seattle Pioneer
Got a link? I can't locate...

It is the last post on the HURL board ... whose offensive posts are still readable by anyone.
PSU:"Still scratching my head to determine what posting guidelines I violated."

You dared to indirectly criticize 'gun control' efforts.....and no more ammo sales at Walmart.....which is a passionate festering sore for progressives and their gun confiscation narrrative.

that's why

t.
No. of Recommendations: 11
Really, telegraph, trying to assign a political motive to what posts TMF deletes is just making the problem worse. It doesn't happen. If you like a post that was deleted or think that it was a good thing it was deleted has nothing to do with applying the terms of service to deciding whether a post should be deleted.
I've found... that when i use the 'M' word, followed by the other 'M' word and 'F' word (not motley fool) and then dip into using the 'S' then 'B' word before (just for fun) tagging on the 'O' 'D' 'G' words... that it sometimes gets somebody rilled up because they misunderstand what i'm trying to write. (sad)
In the Fun & Games area, the Political Jokes board is still open, sees little activity, a bit dusty, but...
No. of Recommendations: 8
I'm not surprised the HURL board has been closed.

Remember when left-leaning posters on the PA board would garner 30, 40, 50, 60 recs a post? And, "Best Of" was cluttered with those posts? Most of us realized those recs were doppel related, but didn't care.

Then, around 2016 election, some right-leaning posters began garnering recs on PA board. Not to the extent left-leaning posts had been rec'd, but enough to have a good showing on "Best Of". Again, probably doppel related, but who cares? Other than a few snowflakes who, threw a tantrum and, insisted political opinion posts should not show up on "Best Of". TMF agreed and removed those boards from "Best Of".

Then, a few political opinions were expressed on a financial board and it, too, was removed from "Best Of".

So, it only follows that the resident snowflakes would eventually become offended by the HURL board. It's too complicated for some people to use the frowny face button or to skip a post that offends them. TMF has, more than once, informed us they are not for free speech, they side with the snowflakes. Of course, this is their site and they can rule it anyway they like.

George R.R. Martin — ‘When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.’

-Donna
Perhaps we should post jokes here until they re-open HURL?
If you like a post that was deleted or think that it was a good thing it was deleted has nothing to do with applying the terms of service to deciding whether a post should be deleted.

You are correct. While some may not like what I posted, I try to keep all my posts within the terms of service.

PSU
Still scratching my head to determine what posting guidelines I violated.

My observation is that posts tend to get pulled based on complaints. If no one complains, then a potentially objectionable post remains. If someone complains, it gets pulled.

My other observation is that people tend to get way too emotional over pulled posts. They are just posts. If what you have to say is important, you can rephrase it and try it again. If not, then it didn't matter. If your post gets pulled move on and don't worry about.

What never works is arguing balls and strikes. I have never seen a pulled post restored after someone protested. There is a huge grey area in the TOS, and it would be virtually impossible to review all posts and enforce it consistently. I suspect what happened with the HURL board is too many complaints were getting generated and and instead of arguing balls and strikes with angry posters, TMF just said "screw it."
If someone complains, it gets pulled.

Far from automatic. Lots more get reported than pulled.
Actually, it was the right wing posts getting multiple posts on PA, but I digress ........

Please bring HURL back. I found many jokes in poor taste (which is a pretty low bar) and/or offensive. Big whoop. Ignore it and move on.

There were plenty of funny jokes, too.

Or, set up rules and assign monitors to make sure offending posts get flagged and pulled. Seems to work for Saul’s board. I’m sure there are plenty of responsible users who would volunteer to help.

<JOKE> I would be totally unbiased but SeattlePioneer wouldn’t. See? Easy.</JOKE>

Work with us. Bring HURL back.

Life is too short not to laugh. And lord knows, we need more laughs these days.

Please.

AW
The Fool's UK message boards were completely shut about two(?) years ago. I used to lurk there to get some non-US perspective.

As I recall there were no big problems with the UK boards, it was just that since it was apparently not making them any money there was little reason to keep it open.

Things come and go so it may mainly be a matter of time until the US message boards are closed too.
Work with us. Bring HURL back.

Life is too short not to laugh. And lord knows, we need more laughs these days.

Please.

AW

I agree with AW:) I put HURL on my favs just a few months ago and have enjoyed and passed on many laughs. Surely there are not so many people offended it requires shutting it down.

-Donna
I expect that what it needs is more explicit standards. I.e., to date I would guess that there have been enough FAs to be annoying to Tony, but no one notices that posts have disappeared since there is enough traffic to keep things moving. If there was a more public sense of "this post was removed because it violated ToS in X", then people would learn that certain types of posts were not appropriate. Without that public feedback, individual posters *might* learn that they should not post certain things ... or, they may just keep posting because not very many got deleted.
Congratulations on 93000.

In the good old days, that would get you a set of cyberantlers.

And of course they would be presented at a formal ceremony in the cyberlounge. Black tie required.

Some say they make good soup.

Let us know.

Once again, congratulations. Well done.
Startin' to sound like addicts missing their juice-box.
Set your bookmark a couple years back on the board and start there.
ALL them/these jokes are a repeat anyway. Somebody/everybody copy/pasted just about every joke many times over and over through time.
Even the blonde jokes are repeats.
I believe the horse is forensically dead. I will call an equine veterinarian to be sure, but it appears to me that in this thread we have beat it fully, completely, and totally.

I am posting this only so Tony doesn’t have to, because who wants poor Tony to have to be the bad guy twice in the same week? (Not that there’s anything wrong with that.) It appears that we are to have no reprieve, no reconsideration, no nuthin’. Supreme Court? Ha! In your dreams. ‘Tis a pity, I’ll say, but that’s the breaks sometimes. So let’s go on about our business, hold our heads up high, and if you see Tony outside the building, jump him.

Just kidding. It’s that sense of humor thing. I guess I didn’t get one, I’ll just have to get by on my good looks and charming personality.
I believe the horse is forensically dead.

Was it triple E?

AC *g*
I believe the horse is forensically dead. I will call an equine veterinarian to be sure, but it appears to me that in this thread we have beat it fully, completely, and totally.

I believe this is what you're looking for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vFRB61xyls

--Peter
It would be nice if TMF would dignify our concerns with some kind of response.
I believe the horse is forensically dead.

Naw. I think you're just horsing around. I think you should rein in those impulses. They are really shoddy.
<<It would be nice if TMF would dignify our concerns with some kind of response.>>

They already have.

What you guys are doing is trying to make nuisances of yourselves to get what you want.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 13
TMF took an action without warning. We are responding to that action. It is quite reasonable to expect a response to our reaction to their unannounced action.

It would be quite different if Tony had posted a warning on HURL a couple of times and then shut it down when that warning was not heeded.
<<It would be quite different if Tony had posted a warning on HURL a couple of times and then shut it down when that warning was not heeded.>>

No it wouldn't People would be beefing and complaining just the same.

Seattle Pioneer
"No it wouldn't People would be beefing and complaining just the same.

Seattle Pioneer "

With very good reason.
Closing a humorous board basically says that either TMF sees no value to the
fools cap anymore or is not capable of maintaining discussion boards.

Howie52
tamhas, why don't you offer to be the moderator of HURL?

Tony could issue you a dayglo-orange safety patrol belt and a shiny Motley Fool Safety Patrol tin badge. And I bet you he would give you the honorific TMFtamhas name to boot.

Wot say?

You would be good at this stuff.

Come on, take one for the team.
No. of Recommendations: 7
Simply, I came to the Motley Fool in November 2000 for the Qualcomm Board, visited a few times a week since to read the HURL Board. I now have no reason to visit this site weekly, or even monthly.
Good Luck to you all.

Thank you for the many years of humor,

LJBeachBum.
Simply, I came to the Motley Fool in November 2000 for the Qualcomm Board, visited a few times a week since to read the HURL Board. I now have no reason to visit this site weekly, or even monthly.
Good Luck to you all.

Like my late mother used to say, ‘This is my house. Everything I say & do in it is right. If you don’t like it, get out.” She, of course, couldn’t understand why us kids moved out and seldom visited her.
;-(

C.J.V. - would tell me what to do and how to do it, even if it was wrong, her
Hey Folks!

I want you to know that I've read every single post here, and I hear you.

Please know that I'm thinking about how to make everyone happy (well, that'll never happen---but I can try!), and put the "amuse" back into the Foolishness.

I'm not making any promises at the moment, and I'm not sure if reopening the board with emphasized rules, starting a new board, changing the board name, or whatever is the best solution, but I'm giving it consideration.

Please know that whatever the outcome, the board can't turn into a place of contention (we've actually had ugly political battles posted), or a board that serves to offend. It can't be a board with gay/lesbian jokes, religious jokes, blonde jokes (yep, people have been offended by that as well)etc. Jokes found to be offensive would be removed with no questions asked.

As you all know, we hold ourselves to a higher standard. Politicians may tweet with curse words, but quoting them on our boards will get the post pulled. It's who we are. I've said from the beginning that we will never become the Yahoo! boards (shiver!) and if that makes our rulings appear purist or prudish, then that's far better than the alternative.

If we can have humor on a humor board that's humorous to everyone and not at the expense of others, then I'd consider that to be a success. It's getting there that is the challenge.

If I can work this out, whatever I come up with, I'll announce it here first. :-)

Thanks!
Tony
Please know that whatever the outcome, the board can't turn into a place of contention (we've actually had ugly political battles posted), or a board that serves to offend. It can't be a board with gay/lesbian jokes, religious jokes, blonde jokes (yep, people have been offended by that as well)etc. Jokes found to be offensive would be removed with no questions asked.

Can we make Miracle Whip jokes or will you be offended?

PSU
Can we make Miracle Whip jokes or will you be offended?

PSU

------------

Certainly someone will be offended. Miracle whip is white and that makes it racist to some.

Have you heard that the "OK" sign you make with your thumb and finger is now banned as a symbol of white supremacy.

There are those unhappy people who wake up each day looking for something to be offended about. It is their identity. And to demonstrate their virtue, they protect us from what offends them by FA'ing with wild abandon. I can understand why the FA blizzard from the HURL board drove Tony to take the action that he did.

Blonde jokes have been with us from the dawn of time. Now, Tony has outlawed.

How about a drunk walks into a bar and.... Insensitive to recovering alcoholics.....

A priest, rabbi, and minister are stranded on an island and.... Cannot be allowed because one of those three religions will will offended, or some other religion will be offended for being left out.

Our futile attempt to pacify such people is the problem. If I see something I don't like, I move on. I don't feel compelled to prevent anyone else from seeing it. FA'ing should be restricted to direct threats or promoting violence, and probably a few other other high crimes and misdemeanors. Simply being offended is too low a bar.
Can we make Miracle Whip jokes or will you be offended

Now those are jokes that can really spread rapidly.

T.
Mike, you make good points.

For sure, much of this will be subjective.
Thanks, Tony, for the feedback.

One thing to consider would be a standing reminder at the side, like the one on paid boards about not revealing recs, about what was not acceptable.

Another thing to consider is the model on Saul's board where the moderators ask to have posts removed and then follow up with a brief post about posts x, y, and z being removed for such and such a reason.
Thank you, Tamhas. Great ideas!
Thank you, Tony!

AW
"Our futile attempt to pacify such people is the problem. If I see something I don't like, I move on. I don't feel compelled to prevent anyone else from seeing it. FA'ing should be restricted to direct threats or promoting violence, and probably a few other other high crimes and misdemeanors. Simply being offended is too low a bar."

I agree with this specifically on a humor board where most humor is made at the expense of someone, so people reading the posts on the humor board are there to laugh.
"If I can work this out, whatever I come up with, I'll announce it here first. :-)

Thanks!
Tony "

Good to be the King?

Howie52
But not what a motley fool was ever intended to be.

Too much "Off with Their Heads!", don'cha know.
Please know that whatever the outcome, the board can't turn into a place of contention (we've actually had ugly political battles posted), or a board that serves to offend. It can't be a board with gay/lesbian jokes, religious jokes, blonde jokes (yep, people have been offended by that as well)etc.

That's too bad, because I have a terrific joke told to me by a fat Republican albino blonde Presbyterian friend, but I stopped hanging out with him when I found out he was a lawyer.
Good to be the King?

Howie52
But not what a motley fool was ever intended to be.

Too much "Off with Their Heads!", don'cha know

Not at all. Just trying to keep the place fair and clean.

Not happy with this Howie? Feel free to visit the Yahoo! Boards and see if you like the way things are there better with no control.

Tony
Tony... something came to me.

- Delima: You ask us to report problem posts, but also give us the ability to "ignore" people/threads, hence we don't see the post, to report it. I got to the point where many posters/threads in HURL were ignored. So if I don't see it, I don't report it. You should consider far more short-term bans. Set examples...

- I've also reported posts only to find they are still up 12-36hrs later. Sometimes they are pulled, not often. Reported posts should be addressed/pulled in a timely fashion, but I'm not seeing this here... FYI. You inform the poster about the pull, but don't inform the reporter? What about a more specific reason for the pull? Your current process is lame, since the TOU/under Conduct are so vague.

Yea, more work for you, but that's what you get paid the big-bucks for... right? (o:
<<- I've also reported posts only to find they are still up 12-36hrs later. Sometimes they are pulled, not often. Reported posts should be addressed/pulled in a timely fashion, >>

They are. If your F?A doesn't result in a post being removed, your complaint has been rejected. You don't get notified of that.

Seattle Pioneer
The most likely reason for a post to still be up 36 hours after a report is that TMF does not agree with your analysis that the post violates terms of service. Which said, one has to make allowance that Tony is not on duty 24x7.

If you didn't see the post because you had the poster ignored, then you weren't offended by it, were you? What does it matter if it is deleted or not. If it violates terms of service significantly enough, someone else will report it.
Perhaps a new place for humor, jokes, and laughs.
From the legend himself.

https://boards.fool.com/et-cetera-etc-etc-29889863.aspx
Tony has re-opened HURL! Yeah Tony!