Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
Hurricane center chief issues final warning
A departing Max Mayfield is convinced that the Southeast is inviting disaster.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-hurricane3jan03,0,940952,full.story?coll=la-hom...

MIAMI — Frustrated with people and politicians who refuse to listen or learn, National Hurricane Center Director Max Mayfield ends his 34-year government career today in search of a new platform for getting out his unwelcome message: Hurricane Katrina was nothing compared with the big one yet to come.

Mayfield, 58, leaves his high-profile job with the National Weather Service more convinced than ever that U.S. residents of the Southeast are risking unprecedented tragedy by continuing to build vulnerable homes in the tropical storm zone and failing to plan escape routes.

He pointed to southern Florida's 7 million coastal residents.

"We're eventually going to get a strong enough storm in a densely populated area to have a major disaster," he said. "I know people don't want to hear this, and I'm generally a very positive person, but we're setting ourselves up for this major disaster."

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
He's right, Mish, but people down there ain't ever gonna listen to him till either they get a major 'cane up the wazoo that kills many times Katrina's toll, or till insurance rates get so high (or insurance becomes so difficult to find) that people are forced to stop building along the coast because they can't afford to anymore. We all know that a Cat 4 or a Cat 5 in the wrong place at the wrong time, or even a big tsunami in the same places, might kill hundreds of thousands of people, but people love to live and/or vacation along the coast, so they'll keep doing it till you have a huge storm off enough of them to get their attention, and Katrina ain't it.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I believe the change in attitude would have occured long ago if the governments had stayed out of the insurance and "protection" game.

Every time somebody gets bruised up by unaffordable insurance, the government steps in to save the day.

After the recent hurricanes in Florida, we had people bragging all over Florida about the FEMA checks they received for non-existant damage. Many people actually came out ahead financially because of these piddly huricanes in 2005.

Tom
No. of Recommendations: 2
Many people actually came out ahead financially because of these piddly huricanes in 2005.

Tom,

Have you been through a catogory 3 or 4 hurricane? Piddly is not the proper word. Could it be worse, absolutaly. Katrina and Rita could have crippled the entire U.S. economy. If either of them has mover another 50 miles west, high gas prices would not have been a concern. You would have a ration card for a memory of 2006.

As it was Katrina damaged the the offshore support systems along the western side of the Mississippi river. If it had gone in 50 miles to the west, it would have destroyed it. Not only that, nush of the refining capicity in South Louisanna is between New Orleans and Layfette and south of I-10. If Katrina has come in to the west all of that capicity would have been damage and a good portion of it destroyed.

If Rita has come in 50 miles to the west, instead of wiping out a couple of fishing villages, it would have not damaged the petro-chemical complex in southeast Texas, it would have destroyed it.

Finally, on personal note, I am offended by your use of piddly. I will be planting at least a 100 trees this winter, and would plant another 1000 if the Texas state nursery had not run out of Christmas pine. Although I may not be around to see the Bald Cypress, Live Oaks, Mayhaws and Wild Pecans grow tall enough to keep me from cringing when I turn into my drive, I'll do it anyway.

Qazulight

No. of Recommendations: 0
Its obvious (to me) that God clearly doesn't want people to live in such places. Dumb gubment playing roll of protector (with NFI and such) support human stupidity.

=(