Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 25
This was a deep stack (10,000 chips) NLH tournament with 45 minute rounds. Actually, a pretty reasonable structure, starting at 25 - 50 blinds. 104 players started. Scheduled to pay 9 players, with $41,200 for first place.

No Joy early on, eventually getting down to about 5,700 chips two hours into the tournament. The first good hand was when I was in the big blind with A9spades. Two limpers and the flop came 9h Qs 4s. Villain bet big at the pot and I moved all in, which he called, with Qh Kd. Turn was a spade and I doubled up to 11,600 chips.

We didn't lose players very fast, but by the time we were down to 70 players I had doubled up to 21,000 chips, so I was ahead of the curve. Thereafter, I was usually 1.5 to 2x average chips. Mostly dumping hands but finding a few to play at critical times and kept my chip count moving up.

Once play got down to 10 handed, someone proposed taking money from first place to pay 10th place the same as ninth place ($2,000). Everyone agreed and we were at the final table. Starting final table I only had 80,000 chips when the average was 104,000. However, the two players to my left, one of whom had been pretty aggressive earlier, became pretty passive. I was able to run raises through them and steal the blinds a number of times from the button.

Then [10 handed] when the antes and blinds 500, 2,000, 4,000, the chip leader raised in middle position to 4X the big blind, I re-raised all in with AKs and he called with 3-3. I flopped a K and no 3 showed up. That hand doubled me up to nearly 170,000 chips. Things moved along and my stack increased to 330,000 at which point I was the chip leader, and we were down to five handed. At that time, the staff, at the request of the table, calculated a chip count split and I would have received $25,000+ and the tough player would have received 18,300. The short stack said he didn't want to do it because he wanted the first place trophy. I told him I would give him the trophy. Then the tough player said he really needed $20,000 for his taxes and inquired whether the second place player and I would contribute $850 each to bring him up to and even $20,000. I okayed that but the second place player said no and besides, he wanted the trophy too. So we went back to playing. I was sort of disappointed because I would willingly have taken the $25,000 and chopped.

As we continued play, I had a pretty good line on all the players and was able to compete fairly effectively. My chip stack was about 320,000 when I raised all in against the big blind with A9o. He insta-called with JJ and now I only had 200,000 chips, table average at that point. Then, the short stack got knocked out on some mediocre holding which he was pretty much forced to play, and we were down to four handed. Two hands later, tough player villain raised UTG to 40,000 (blinds were like 6,000 and 12,000, with 2,000 antes). When it reached me I looked at a pair of deuces. I had been able to push him off hands a number of times before so I moved all in on him; he was the chip leader at the time. Villain insta-called and we saw the flop, turn and river which brought no high cards, so I double up and villain was now pretty short.

The second hand later, villain raised all in and the guy between us re-raised. I, in the small blind, and the big blind, both folded and villain showed his cards, T-3o. Raiser showed TT and was a HUGE favorite, which he proceeded to win.

At this point, I had 444,000 chips, number two had 340,000 chips and number three had 314,000 chips. We did a chip count split calculation and everyone agreed to it. My share as leader was $28,925.

At that point, number two leaned over and said: "I'll give you $500 for the trophy and the right to be called the winner." I agreed immediately conditioned on the tournament staff approving. They did, so my net after tips was $28,500. Though I got the most money, I'll show up as the second place finisher. That's OK by me.

The tourney took 14 hours and I'm whipped. DW was happy of course.

Good night to all.

Hundriver
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.