Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Does anyone own one or is anyone considering owning one?

I'm not really a big fan of the looks of any of the current hybrids on the market (Prius & Insight are the only two that come to mind), but Ford is planning on making a Ranger and an Escape hybrid within the next year or two. And a Civic hybrid is supposedly on the way.

With gas prices going higher and higher and tensions being as they are in the middle east, it seems like the next year could be a big year for hybrids. The carmakers just need to make them look more like real cars and not like, well the Insight.

I drive a Civic right now and wouldn't mind getting 40 or 50 miles to the gallon as opposed to the 25 to 27 I get right now. I couldn't imagine driving something that gets 12 to 15mpg, the cost must be exorbitant.

Doesn't Volkswagen also have a Jetta or Golf that's a Hybrid?

I'm kind of curious as to what kind of acceleration, power, reliability these vehicles have.

BZ1
Print the post Back To Top
You're forgetting about the Civic Hybrid.
Does anyone own one or is anyone considering owning one?

When they get the price down to economy levels and increase the torque to something fun to play with, I'd consider them.

Twit
Let me clarify that after re-reading your post.

The Civic Hybrid is out, is available, and I test drove one at least 9 months ago. It had just arrived at the dealership, and we were the first to take it out. Back then, I posted a summary of my thoughts on the car, but the search engine doesn't seem to be pulling it up. The one I drove was equipped with the CVT and was capable of keeping up with traffic just like any other Civic.
When they get the price down to economy levels and increase the torque to something fun to play with, I'd consider them.
===*===

Pffft. Rx8 ain't got torque but I'd bet you'd take one of them.
RE: "what kind of acceleration, power, reliability these vehicles have"

The above are in inverse proportion to the mpg.

Well, maybe not quite, but you can guess I'm not the target market for this type of vehicle!

SB (and, print this out and save it, next year gasoline will be cheaper than it is today, unless your elected representatives increase their "cut")

Back then, I posted a summary of my thoughts on the car, but the search engine doesn't seem to be pulling it up.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=17083652&sort=whole

the current search engine goes back 6 months, but after your initial search you can click on the year you want to search, and it will pull up the results for that year. (claims Beta version)
Pffft. Rx8 ain't got torque but I'd bet you'd take one of them.

Take is a lot different than buy.

Twit
Take is a lot different than buy.

=====||=====

As they say on miataforum.com

DILYSI*

*Drive It Like You Stole It.

Doesn't Volkswagen also have a Jetta or Golf that's a Hybrid?

-------

Wow...Duck hasn't already jumped in to bash VW? Amazing!

Seriously. VW does not have a hybrid. However, they do have diesel versions of the Jetta and Golf and they get about the same MPG as a hybrid. The diesel versions are called the TDI. I think they are a very good alternative to a hybrid car. My understanding is that the late model VW diesels are supposed to be a major improvement over VWs earlier attempts. The newer ones are quieter and don't smell as strange. They are supposed to be surprisingly peppy. Some people say the premium you pay for a hybrid, or even a diesel, is only recouped over a very long period of time. This might be different if gas prices stay high for a few years. I'm not sure how easy/hard they are to come by 1-3 years used....my guess is that they are pretty rare.

I saw a guy driving a Honda Insight today and it had two inch deep scratches all the way down the driver's side. I felt bad for him. Spend all that money on an economy car and it gets messed up!

marxtacy
(who spent several hours this afternoon detailing his Golf after a long winter)

Wow...Duck hasn't already jumped in to bash VW? Amazing!

DING!
bashbashbashbashbashbashbashbashbashbashbash!!!!!!!

However, they do have diesel versions of the Jetta and Golf and they get about the same MPG as a hybrid. The diesel versions are called the TDI. I think they are a very good alternative to a hybrid car. My understanding is that the late model VW diesels are supposed to be a major improvement over VWs earlier attempts. The newer ones are quieter and don't smell as strange. They are supposed to be surprisingly peppy.

In real world conditions, the TDI diesels do better than a hybrid. By the way, they DO make a TDI New Beetle as well.

Also see: http://www.tdiclub.com/ (A webpage for VW TDI fanatics.)

The TDI is a partially turbo-boosted diesel, the predecessor was the early 1990's EcoDiesel, also a low-turbo-boost diesel (only 5 pounds max). I owned a 1991 VW Jetta EcoDiesel. I liked the mileage, I liked the "peppiness", it was very low geared so acceleration from a stop was okay. (It just ran out of wind by the time you got to 60.)

However, my Jetta EcoDiesel was poorly assembled, the cruise control was an aftermarket JCWhitney piece of crap installed poorly by the dealer. All four windows leaked, the stub axle bent only after 20,000 miles of interstate driving, nobody could fix the leaks, the rear bumper had to be re-hung three times, and even the Wolfsburg crest on the front fender was installed upside-down! (and this was a German-built Jetta, not a Mexican-built one). What drove me to sell it was my third (useless) dealer that overtightened my belt on the 45000 mile service and it broke 40 miles away after getting it back from the dealer that night. They offered no apologies and made me pay the tow charge back to the dealer.

I am impressed with what VW TDI diesels can do. But if their dealers and factories don't give a sh!t about the customer, their executives, their sales franchisees, and their service reps deserve to die a slow painful death.

Duck!
I am impressed with what VW TDI diesels can do. But if their dealers and factories don't give a sh!t about the customer, their executives, their sales franchisees, and their service reps deserve to die a slow painful death.

Wow... way to kill a thread! ;)

Seriously, thanks for the info. I was under the impression from the smiling happy people in the commercials that the TDI was indeed a hybrid vehicle freshening the air as it drove by and not a diesel-based auto.

I did indeed know about a Civic Hybrid, I just wasn't aware it was out yet. I'm not exactly what you would call "in the market for a new car" yet, but I'm looking at cars & trucks that provide less of a dependence on gasoline and that are hopefully somewhat easier on the environment. Of course I'm also looking at the Infiniti G35 coupe and a Toyota Tacoma PreRunner, so my horizons are broad.

BZ1

I'm also looking at the Infiniti G35 coupe
===*===

End of search.
Wow... way to kill a thread! ;)

Sorry Dude!

Ouf of the dozen or so new AND used cars I've owned and leased, my experiences with VW have been the most frustrating out of ALL of them. And that's a shame as I liked my old Beetles and I liked my Grandpa's '72 Bus. Then VW went and killed the company.

So at this point, even if VW were to develop a wonderful hybrid/electric/hydrogen vehicle that did everything so wonderfully well, I'd still run away from it as fast as I could because of the company.

Rant off...

Duck!
So at this point, even if VW were to develop a wonderful hybrid/electric/hydrogen vehicle
===*===

Nah, just get one and then get a vanity plate that says COW. All of the positive engrams in the world would then rush your way and the juju in your mojo would overflow and the car would be the best one you ever owned. <Ya gotta go to special schools to know this stuff.>

Raggmopp
<reads the Duck's Tale on other boards>
I'm also looking at the Infiniti G35 coupe
===*===

End of search.

My GF just recently bought an Acura CL (2K3) but test drove the G35 b/c she was considering that as well. I was worried she'd get it and then be driving my car, but she came back from the test drive and said she didn't like it b/c:
1) the engine was too loud
2) the ride was too rough
3) the car was too herky-jerky

She basically didn't want it b/c it was a sports car, luxurious, but still a sports car.

I damn near laughed my head off after she told me that since I guess she had gone in thinking it would just be a nicer version of her Neon.

At least she was a good girl and brought me home the brochure.

BZ1
1) the engine was too loud
2) the ride was too rough
3) the car was too herky-jerky
===*===

And the bad things were...?
I own a used (2001) Toyota Prius and I absolutely love it.

For sure, you won't be blowing Mustangs or other sports cars out of the fast lane. But I have no problem keeping up with other folks in the left lane (at least 70 mph) and I still get high 40 mpg.

The ride is smooth and the turning radius kicks ass. Which is great when you're in the city and parking is tight.

The best part? Being stuck in a hideous, rush-hour traffic jam and having your gas engine turn off. It doesn't make traffic move any faster, but it is gloriously silent. It makes me grin like mad, especially when I look over at the gas-hog Excursion next to me and wonder how much money they're frittering away just sitting there.

Other points to consider: this is the last year for the $2k Federal tax credit and, depending on your state, other tax 'incentives.' And in PA, at least, you are exempt from emissions tests (saving you $50 a year). If you buy a new Prius, it's 3 years maintenance and free roadside assistance, as well.
I own a used (2001) Toyota Prius and I absolutely love it.
===*===

We love our cars too, welcome to the board.
Thanks - I never miss an opportunity to plug the Prius. Even to the point where my friends' ears start bleeding and falling off from me singing its praises. <grin>
Thanks - I never miss an opportunity to plug the Prius.
===*===

Well that's fine since we're an eclectic bunch here. To some zero to sixty times are important, to others playing "Bullitt" in an Accord do it, and for others Formula One. But no matter what our daily driver might be we all, to some extent I believe, lust after the automotive "Holy Grail".

Raggmopp