Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
I actually got my act together and completed my taxes early this year. However, we now have some extra money that I didn't plan to have this quarter. I would like to put this money in a 2001 IRA. I know that this IRA would not be deductible on my taxes. My question is, do I have to submit an amended return if I invested this money in a IRA marked as a 2001 contribution if it won't affect my taxes in anyway?

Maybe. If your AGI allows a Roth IRA contribution for 2001, that's much preferable to a nondeductible traditional IRA contribution. If you do a Roth, no change to your 2001 return will be necessary since Roth IRA contributions aren't reported on your return.

If your AGI is too high for Roth, you can still do the nondeductible traditional contribution. However, this must be reported on Form 8606, Part I. Doing so establishes your basis in the traditional IRA so you don't get taxed again on this money when you withdraw it in retirement. You'll need to amend your return and attach the 8606, even though it doesn't change your tax.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.