Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I admit - when I opened my IRA years ago I didn't have a clue. My financial advisor told me to do it and so I did - at that time it was as involved in my money as I cared to be.
I was very fortunate in the recent market downturn and my stocks have mostly recovered, with the exception of a couple of stocks (microsoft and intel which have been tremendous, and I'm not planning to sell them) the stocks in my portfolio have given lackluster returns even during the big bull. I am sitting on an over diversified a portfolio (27 stocks in all - far more than I can keep track of) most of which are companies that had major gains early on (in the eighties)and not much after. Several have the earmarks of companies in big financial trouble - negative cash flow, tremendous borrowing, huge drops in sales...
I'f I'd taken a more active interest in my own IRA's before I would have noticed that I was sitting on some really stupid stocks (PNJA??!!) that my broker thought would be a good idea and might have been for the first year - typical stupid investor handing the reigns over to a "pro".

All in all though - my returns have been good, so he did something right - If microsoft and intel wern't part of the portfolio I'd be singing a differant tune though.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.