Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I agree;

A firm beleiver in Risk/Reward trade off.

If equity held any priority in bankruptcy, the risk would be lower, so the return should follow.

Using the 1% shock you had mentioned for earnings. I then gave a 1% chance of bankruptcy for each year. Over 30 years, there is a 26% chance of BK. Using todays current rates are 4.64% 30 yr bond.

So if I can have 4.64% risk free I would expect at least a 6.27% return with 26% chance of default.

If the company does "plow" the money back in, then there is more risk and for a any company, (size, sector, stage) I would expect the average return provided by that type of company in the past. In this example you use 10%, but for a small cap, value you may expect more???

DrTarr
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.