Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I agree. A recent issue of Louis Rukeyser's investment letter had an interview with Sir John Templeton, who is advising putting 75% of a portfolio in bonds. Since Templeton has been big on stocks for decades, this is a big change.
For years the stock market has boomed. In 1999 for the first time foreign markets did better than the US. In recent months also, the small cap funds did better than the large cap.
The choice of Vanguard is a good one. Rather than the S&P though I would for a 61 year old about to retire favor something like 35% bonds, 25% S&P, 25% small cap stocks, the rest cash, being sure there
is enough cash that along with the interest on the bonds will provide a couple years of living expenses.
I'm a little older than you guys, plan to retire in about 2 years, and the above is about what my present portfolio looks like. Good Luck! Chris
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.