Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I agree and respectfully disagree slightly, i.e., I don't think anybody is totally going to win at this and that one technology will be the choice over any other.

For people, like me, who have DSL and where the cable system sucks and or doesn't yet provide internet access, DSL is a great thing [doubt I will ever switch based upon the current situation].

Satellite access sucks big time due to propolation delay and I doubt this will be resolved even with low-orbit. If you are in a rural area or on a boat or something, then this is the best you can do, but I think anyone who can have access to a hard-wire will want it.

And, FYI, lastly, the cable systems (under the current/new methods of installation) don't or won't have performance or bandwidth limitations (as most people believe) because they run fiber to the block head and then copper to the houses. Thus each block is as much traffic as anyone will have to deal with. But alas, this means that the cable companies have to run fiber to ever block head - which, of course, (if you were wondering like I was) is why they say the cable companies are spending billions of dollars upgrading their systems to provide internet access.

Basically, all they have is the right of way, which is all AT&T is attempting to purchase, but they don't want to be bought, so its a big'o chess game going on where AT&T feels it needs to have a monopoly to survive and everyone else is trying to figure out how to become even richer from what they own while not going broke. In the mean time, a lot - if not most cable systems, don't provide internet access or its "an experiment" in limited areas...
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.