Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I agree that analysts' estimates are typically on the low side for rapidly growing markets like Cree's. However, I guess I prefer to err on the conservative side when trying to read my crystal ball. I much prefer to be pleasantly surprised by a stock's performance than the other way around. (That said, I secretly think there's a good chance to hit $500 by year's end... :)

I was aware of the rather high price target, and did what I could to keep it from going higher. If you look at the math I did, my estimate, which is based on only 1/3 of capacity being utilized in 2001, and profit margins for the LED division remaining steady, and no profits to be attained from RF chip and blue laser sales, might be a bit conservative as well.

I am curious, though: how did you arrive at your estimated 80% LT annual growth figure

Maybe I should've went over this a little more. My estimates for the next two years guess that earnings will grow at an average of about 132% to $3.13/share in 2001. 80% 5-year earnings growth from the company's current $.58 base would result in EPS of $10.95 in five years. After these two years, I guessed that on the low end, Cree would grow its earnings by 70% for the next three years due to continuing LED sales growth, expected to be over 85% of Cree's profits by 2001, as well as blue laser and base station chip sales. However, that by itself would lead to EPS of $15.38 five years from now. So even that 80% estimate might be on the low-end.

Hope this answers your questions,
Eric
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.