No. of Recommendations: 1
I agree that that is way too much.
We did three weeks mainly in Italy in May and June and we had sort of an odd itinerary because of frequent flyer miles that would have cost extra to go to directly to Italy
It was;
Fly into Nice France, for two days
Fly a discount airline to Rome (about $80 as I recall)
Train to Florene
Train to Venice
Train to Munich
Fly to London (the tickets allowed free stopovers on London)
Return

This was plenty of places to see in three weeks. In retrospect if I were to do it again I would have skipped Nice and flown directly into Rome. This was also a lot of time in big cities; it would have also been nice to have spent more time outside the cities.

We were going to spend a few days driving in Italy but I was tired since we were staying up late at night and it was somewhat rainy so we decided to skip the driving, which was a good choice. It is good to have some flexibility in your schedule.

Another place that I've found to be a good base for trips is Munich. Lots to see and easy train access to a number of places.

Dachau is just outside of Munich and you will be nearby. You mentioned an interest in that but we elected not to do that tour when we were there.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.