Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
I agree that there have been missed opportunities for apple (so far) although I am not sure I agree with what categories of product.

I am likely to buy Sonos speakers soon for a home theater setup. Apple's home speaker looks first gen to me (not even clear it will be positioned against Sonos) and likely needs a whole lot of work to catch up to where Sonos is.

I am not sure it makes sense for apple to try to compete against amazon for $50 kindles and $30 dots. I am pretty sure that is a loss-making business for Amazon maybe made up for greater Amazon stickiness and retail sales which wouldn't apply to apple.

I do think there is unmet need in home automation. Audio, networking, smart devices, etc. Apple seems way behind on this. Almost as if it is a hobby for them. They had quite a bit of the pieces (Airport, Apple TV, Siri). But they haven't done much. They could've been a lot more aggressive if they were serious.

Rob
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.