No. of Recommendations: 6
I agree. To get e-mail passwords and addresses, you need to hack one source at a time. You can't get Outlook dot com and icloud dot com and gmail dot com and all kinds of other e-mail hosting places in a single breach.

Instead of reading the article from gizmodo, you can visit Troy Hunt's blog post that the article is based off of.

https://www.troyhunt.com/the-773-million-record-collection-1...

I get two main things from the blog post. One is that the concern is credential stuffing. That's where they take a stolen email and password combo and use those credentials to access other sites. For example, you may use PeterTMF@gmail.com and password123 to access this website. If this website was one of the hacked, they may try the above email address and password at websites like citibank.com to see if they can get account access there.

I can see that as a real danger because I'm guilty myself of using the same email address for my sign-in at other websites and reuse the same password associated with the email account. Yes, I have not been practicing safe computing.

The second thing I gain from his blog post is that it seems like one big advertisement for 1Password.

PSU
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.