Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
I agree with Behe.

Only because of your religious beliefs. For most other things you would assume the natural explanation over the supernatural even if the natural wasn't proven.

I've asked this before, do you believe Katrina had a supernatural cause? I'm guessing you don't because you aren't compelled by your religious beliefs to do so. This allows you to accept the more rational, naturalistic possibility. I suspect you would feel that the burden of proof would lie on the one proposing a supernatural cause.

Suppose you feel fatigued, feverish, and achy. There could be a natural explanation or a supernatural one. I suspect you would assume the former even though you have no conclusive way of discounting the latter. To treat the symptoms I'm betting you are far more likely to go to a doctor than a religious leader. Again, by assuming the natural you are putting the burden of proof on those asserting the supernatural.

Yet when Behe proposes a supernatural cause for evolution you uncritically accept the argument and place the burden of proof on the naturalistic proposals. This you do even though the vast majority of experts in the field say that a natural cause is quite possible. Why this reversal? If I had to guess, I'd say it was because of your religious beliefs. Now I don't have a problem with that. But I do have an issue with your trying to disguise it as rational or scientific when it is so clearly faith-based. And I definitely have a problem when those who believe as you do try to politically impose what I think is an intellectually dishonest characterization of ID theory as science into my kids' textbooks.

This pretty much exhausts everything I have to say about Behe.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.