No. of Recommendations: 0
I agree with the merchants' attorney, Lloyd Constantine, who stated: "The debit- and credit-card cartel has stalled the judicial process every step of the way, squeezing every last penny of their hidden tax on
consumers until the day they know is coming -- when the courts order this policy stopped."

Here's why I'm on Visa and Mastercard's side:

When I use a credit card, the merchant pays a fee in the 1 or 2 percent range, and they're contractually obligated to charge the same whether I'm paying cash or credit.

When I use a debit card with a PIN:

* My bank hits me for a fee of about $1.

* The merchant often hits me for a fee of between $0.35 and $2.00

I don't like paying these fees. Would prices on many items be 1 or 2 percent less if credit cards didn't charge that fee? Perhaps, but that aspect of the picture isn't going to change. I just hate paying these fees that everyone wants to line up to assess when I elect to type in my PIN number.

-- Mark
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.