Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I agree with the sentiment that you can't expect $80K per year with your assets. But that is a gut feel. Your post doesn't contain nearly enough info to make a sound recommendation.

I would urge you to check out Quicken financial planning software. I also am 55 and contemplating an early retirement. I found Quicken to be excellent in predicting cash flow for as far out as I need. It takes about an hour to load your financial status, to select from a menu of assumptions and to grind out your first answer. After that it takes only a couple of minutes to run alternate scenarios.

In my case I found my net worth going down for seven years until social security kicks in. You'll probably find the same thing. I have decided to postpone to 57 because of rules regarding receiving social security disability should one become disabled after retirement. Working just two more years also lowers the amount of capital consumption prior to reaching age 62.

Good Luck

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.