Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I agree with with xnocturnal. Trying to time the market on a daily basis with your 403(b) would prove largely to be futile. Besides, is the NASDAQ going to be down for several months or will it rise back in one day. It's done both in the past. Timing the market with individual stocks is a losing proposition for the vast majority of people. Doing it with a 403(b), which do not trade intraday anyway, is nearly impossible. Sit back and relax. I actually cheer when the market goes down near the time my distribution is sent to my 403(b) provider. I'm buying more shares cheaper - it's all about dollar cost averaging. Just sit back, don't take the daily financial news too seriously, dollar cost average, and you'll be fine. Besides, some 403(b) providers are only allowing a certain number of trades per quarter, and then charging people, basically to prevent what you are proposing to do. It may not cost you to trade in or out of a mutual fund with your plan, but it does cost the company, and they want to keep their costs downs.

hope this helps,
Taylor
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.