Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I also can't install any software on my work computer which is another reason I avoid it. Can't even change the screensaver settings. So if the screensaver kicks in, I have to enter the 12 character complex password (which must be changed every six weeks) which means the 2FA kicks in and I have to then answer a message in the Okta mobile app within 30 seconds saying its me. Or start over. So I have to play 'games' like typing nonsense or keep notes to keep the screensaver from kicking in while I'm on the phone for example. On Ubuntu I use an app (caffeine) which keeps the screensaver from ever kicking in and I can remain connected to the company web portal for weeks without having to log in again.

Besides the laptop based Office software, I can access Office 365 (w/Outlook), which is browser driven, by using any computer anywhere as long as I have the passwords and 2FA app. So I can work from home with my Ubuntu laptop as I'm doing now. If I need to connect and use network resources then I do have to use the work laptop with Cisco VPN client which again requires my password and 2FA. So if I use the laptop, I have to login to use it and/or Office and then if I need network resources (drives), login again to use the VPN which connects me to the network drives (with 2FA each time). I don't recall if I have to log in separately to use MS Teams.

I don't blame the company as they have been bitten by virus attacks and ransomware (which came in from our Asia network connection). So I hope they don't blame me for working around what I can. Their web portal has protection to keep bad things from coming in that way.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.