No. of Recommendations: 0
I also have trouble throwing out mail I don't need, which is how picking up and dealing with mail became DH's job. And I have trouble getting rid of clothes I dont wear and other items I no longer need. So I think I have hoarding tendencies, just not the aspect of bringing known unusable items into the house. We move more often than most people and have been able to take advantage of the opportunity to get rid of unneeded items. I can sirt through and see what we don't need, but it is very hard for me to get rid of it (so DH does). I pitched a fit when DH got rid of bath towels before our last move. Just like the hoarders I see on TV when their helpers get rid of stuff. With my hysband's dianosis with a serious degenerative brain disease, I will have to gradually take over his tasks as well as care for him (alas, no LTCI).

What I tried to express, badly, in my previous post, is that I can understand and sympathize with hoarding even though on the surface my place usually looks OK.

I was finally able, after 6 years of 2-3 month RV trips, to throw away maybe 1/4 of the accumulated crap before we took this trip. I was saving campground maps, area activity brochures, some useless stuff that actually had cost money like butterflies of so and so county, and could still part with just a fraction. So I take it back--I do bring some absurd stuff into the house (well, I leave it in tote bags on the Rv--DH brings it into the house, where I ignore it...).

Being allergic to cats, whom I adore, and indifferent at best to dogs, whom I can take in small doses if well trained, we do not have pets. I grew up with canaries and parakeets and now prefer birds un the wild.

I have told 3 people that I have books to send them and haven't managed to part with them yet either.

=alstro, without DH's help, maybe a 1.5 or 2?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.