Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I also retired in January 2000 (age 54 1/2). I was feeling pretty comfortable by the end of March, not long before the tech bubble burst. But when I decided to retire 5 years earlier than I'd always planned, I knew I had to be careful with spending. I was taking Sec. 72t early IRA withdrawals but SS was a long way off. I had some investments outside the IRA to supplement my withdrawals but I watched my spending. When my portofolio dropped again after 9/11 I reduced discretionary spending as a precaution. Glad I did because the fall of 2008 brought more pain. Fortunately by then I had SS to help out.

Bottom line is I've gotten along pretty well. Managed to avoid selling in down market. Don't feel I've denied myself anything I needed and I've enjoyed plenty of travel. My portfolio is about half what I thought it would be by now when I retired, but I live comfortably on SS and less than 4% withdrawals. I also discovered some of the really expensive things I enjoyed while I had a good income aren't nearly as important to me now. No desire or need to go back to work. I do several unpaid community service jobs plus managing my own investments so I keep as busy as I want to be. Love to golf and travel or just relax on the porch with a book some afternoons.

Be realistic about what your retirement nestegg will allow. Expect the unexpected. React quickly to trim unnecesary spending during a financial downturn. And enjoy every minute of retirement in whatever manner you choose.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.