Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I always liked the term we used when I lived in Puerto Rico:

"aguacates" - kinda rrrolls off the tongue

It's a nice sound when properly pronounced in Spanish!

The word comes from language of the Aztecs and Maya (Náhuatl) and it means both the fruit we are talking about and also 'testicle.' When the Spaniards took the 'ahuacatl' back to Europe, it was transliterated as 'avocado' as the closet pronunciation.

But, (as SB pointed out for Italian) 'avocado' means 'lawyer' in Spanish (advocate in English). Given the double-meaning of the root word 'ahuacatl', I suspect the Spaniards figured there were already enough bad lawyer jokes around so they eventually changed the name to the less phonetically accurate 'aguacate.' But, there was no conflicting meaning in English so the original transliteration of 'avocado' was retained.

Huitzli Smokapetl (aka OleDoc)

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.