Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I always thought Moorcock was sci-fi horror, so I never bothered to read him. Have I been missing out?

I was on a Moorcock kick a long time ago, and I purchased a lot of them - mostly out of print collectibles from used book stores.

I got tired of them; a lot of sameness...Elric and Corum and Hawkmoon, all different aspects of the Eternal Champion (a takeoff, I believe, on the Carolingian cycle stuff that has Arthur returning at the time of England's need) wielding a magical sword (a bound demon - the Stealer of Souls). The Eternal Champion is a very bad person to become friends with; when unsheathed, the sword MUST drink a soul, and it doesn't care if the soul is the soul of a friend or a foe. So, when the Champion takes out the sword, someone dies. He loses a lot of friends that way, and not a few lovers.

I like Zelazny's Amber series a lot better. Zelazny died a few years ago, in his '50s...a young man, relatively.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.