Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I am 49 and am at a basic level of FIRE, that is, to be able to maintain my curent lifestyle without working... as long as investments don't crash and burn too badly and they perform somewhere near my conservative predicitions. But I'm not quite confident enough to FIRE just yet. I don't want to be FIREd and worrying about money... However, being (nearly) there gives me a very strong plan B ability, and that is a good, good feeling.

Like others have stated, I feel that my current job and employer, while not bad, are not something I am excited about or interested in. I guess I'm just bored, and have the strong feeling that I could and would do something great (or at least pretty darn good!) with my life if I stopped working for someone else and took a chance. I think about it daily, and research things, but I haven't found what it is I want to sink my teeth into, what would be better than what I'm doing now. Perhaps if I just FIre, it will come to me, but that's not how I usually do things. At work we are undergoing a change in ownership and management, and I suspect things will be less pleasant in the future. Like Ziggy29, I have a plan B so I am not petrified of losing my job, and if things fgo south, it might just be the jolt I need to get on with the next big thing... whatever that might be.

So, for me, it isn't just a matter of one day you hit the magic number and FIRE is a clear direction to take. Both financially and for other reasons, it is a gradual process. ...of course, if things get nasty at work, that could help make the decision a little easier!!!

Best.

-AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.