Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4
I am 67 and retired and a lot of my nest egg is in traditional IRA's of which I will have to start withdrawing in 2010 about the same date as the new tax laws go into effect.

Are there any suggestions as to what i should do in preparation for this?

First, don't assume that most of the changes since 2001 will die, as currently scheduled. I wouldn't waste any time trying to divine what the tax law will actually look like.

I would look at RMD's from your traditional IRA. If your MAGI is under $100,000 you might look at converting some of your traditional IRA to Roth each year. This will reduce the base amount for RMD's when they begin. You need to be careful in this analysis to make sure you see the total effect of the conversion, including the effect on how much of your SS benefit is taxed.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.