Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am a 17 year old who invests regularly and has a full understanding of the stock market. I have recently begun to acquire information about starting a ROTH IRA with a discount online broker.

Some brokers will tell you that they won't open an IRA for someone under 18. (But then you may be able to open one on-line, even with the same company - I guess they don't subtract the birth date!)

Should I go to a broker like Merrill Lynch, or is it possible to open a Roth through an index fund and mutual fund company

Whichever you prefer. Since your initial balance is limited, be careful of fees, since they can eat up your money quickly.

will I be able to roll these two funds over into a brokerage account in the future?

Yes, it's not a problem. Just be sure you do a custodian-to-custodian transfer, where you don't receive the money yourself. The place you want to move your money to can tell you just what to do.

P.S. Congrats on getting started so early!!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.