No. of Recommendations: 0
I am a 23 year old college student who has about $2700 worth of credit card debt, in about a year i will have $20,000
in college loans (paid off in 10 years). I bring in $600 a month and my husband (also a student)brings in $13,000 a year.
Our total monthly income is 1500 and we spend 1400 on bills (rent, credit cards, etc..)I am hoping to get a house
sometime in the future, but do not feel my credit is very good. Right now I feel like I am drowning in dept. Can anyone
who has been in my situation please give me words of encouragement? and advice!

I agree with most of the replies so far, but with your income and student status I think you should be concerned about this credit card debt. I think you should carefully consider how you got to $2,700 and what you having been using the card for.

I agree with those who say you will not want to be carrying that around when your student loans kick in. You certainly should be certain your spending does not keep increasing that CC total any higher.

Take a look at your spending. Lower your standard of living a bit. Think twice about soda pop, eating out and other non-essentials.

Along with the suggestions about visiting the LBYM board and budgeting board, have you seen the Getting out of Debt FAQs at the bottom of this page?

The fact that you are concerned now will help you get to a better place a lot sooner than some of the rest of us! I have about $1,600 left on CC debt that was once around $6,000, and I have been carrying CC debt on one card or another for more than 20 years. I am glad to finally have made some changes in my life so that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now!

Good luck. Come back and let us know how you are doing.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.