Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
I am a resident of Indiana and owe $499 to the state for income taxes for 2012. My question is: Can I file the state tax return via TaxAct software and send the amount via echeck? Indiana does allow payment by echeck, but I am not sure how the tax return should be filed (i.e., do I necessarily need to mail a paper return)?

I have no special knowledge of Indiana's procedures, but I can't imagine that you'd have to send a paper return just because you have a balance due. If there's something about your return that precludes e-filing the software won't let you do it.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.