Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I am also new to CANSLIM as well as to this discussion board. So, I have my doubts about CANSLIM, but I did find an interesting piece on CANSLIM I would like to share with you and the group. I also belong to American Association of Individual Investors (AAII). The have a set up call Stock Screens where they have 50 hypothetical portfolios of stocks based on a particular style of investing. They have kept up with this for four years. Stocks are purchased in equal dollar amounts at the beginning of the month and sold if no longer meets the initial criteria. AAII claims that with four years of performance it is early to determine if any approach is superior. However, I disagree because of the 50 screens 2 stand out far above the others and CANSLIM is one of the two. Since 1998, CANSLIM screen has never had a negative year: 28.2, 36.6, 38.0, 51.2 for a cumulative returns of 271% (Martin Zweig's approach is the other clear frontrunner with return of 299.7%) The stocks as of December 28 that meet the CANSLIM criteria were
D&K Healthcare Resources DKWD
Trendwest Resorts, Inc. TKRI
M/I Schottenstein Homes MHO
Wintrust Financial Corp. WTFC
Courier Corporation CRRC
Mobile Mini, Inc. MINI
Dime Community Bancshares DCOM
Flushing Financial Corp. FFIC
Merchants Bancshares,Inc. MBVT
Fidelity Bancorp Inc. DE FBCI
SCP Pool Corporation POOL
PFF Bancorp, Inc. PFB

So, this hypothetical screen picked CANSLIM stocks, did not purchase them using pivot points and breakouts, but it seems to indicate that the CANSLIM method does select out some of the strongest stocks with the greatest potential to go up at least compared to many other styles of investing. Food for thought.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.