Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
I am assuming that one of those forms will also have a place to declare any non-deductible IRAs that will be converted to a roth as well?

Yes, the Form 8606 is where you will report your non-deductible contributions.

I was under the impression that I or the brokerage was going to have to get into the nitty gritty of figuring out the value of the IRAs when they were opened and the value of them at conversion to tax the difference, which would be daunting if I had to find old paper records,as electronic records only go back so far depending on the brokerage. Is this impression correct?

Sorry, your impression is incorrect. IRAs are like Vegas - what happens in the IRA (at least as far as cost basis and gains) stays in the IRA. Your taxable amount is the value of what you are converting when the conversion occurs. If you have any basis from non-deductible contributions in the IRA that was previously reported on a Form 8606, your entries on the Form 8606 will adjust the conversion amount appropriately.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.