Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am assuming that when you talk about "we" you are talking about him. I mean, your contributions to an IRA don't relate to his income, but his do.

I'm sorry if I confused anyone with the way I use personal pronouns. All our money is in one pot, not his and mine, but ours. I take care of all the finances so I tend to talk about what I or we are going to do even though technically it's his money.

When he looks to get a new job, he could take a starting date that allows for a vacation between jobs. I think this means that he could have a salary of like $115,000 and between 401k contributions and a month without pay you come out with about 95k AGI. Of course, this means he wouldn't make as much money during the year.

Upon further review, I think his second job will end up putting him over the limit for contributing even if he doesn't get a higher paying first job. (He is doing computer work from home for a brand new start-up.)

You didn't talk about your own income, if any, but make sure you fund your own if you can.

I hate to admit this right after saying that my fiance has 2 jobs, but I am not working. When I did work, it was retail management........ tons of hours, almost no money. He makes more sitting at the computer at home for 4 hours than I ever did working a 50 hour week on my feet. So we decided that it was better both for our relationship and for our finances for me to be home. This way I'm at home evenings and weekends so we can spend time together, and I cook all our meals (including his lunch) and do various other things that save money. I'm actually able to save us more money by not working than I would be able to earn working.

I do have a small business selling stuff on ebay and my parents fund an IRA for me when I make enough money with that. Actually I just found out about that last part a couple months ago when I mentioned to my mom that I wanted to start an IRA for myself if I made enough money this year. Apparently ever since I first started working they have been funding an IRA for me and just never bothered to mention it to me. God I love my parents!!!

Karen

(spoiled but frugal)
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.