Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am considering doing some work on the side for someone who is not my employer. They want to pay me as a consultant and not take any taxes out of my check. Does this mean that I am not only responsible for paying the income tax, but also both portions of social security for this work? Since I am not actually in business for myself would this second employer still be responsible for part of my SS tax? Am I aasking the right questions?

You're asking the right questions, but not using the correct terms. You may not think of yourself as being "in business," but you are in this situation. You'll report your earnings and expenses on Schedule C, and your net income will be subject to self-employment tax, all of which you pay. The person engaging your services is not your "employer," which is a term of art.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.