Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am considering giving a stock gift to my 19 year old son and the value is about $15,000. To avoid paying gift taxes, can I use gift splitting with my wife even though the stock is held in my name only or will I have to use a portion of my unified credit?

If you'll check Form 709 or Form 709A, you'll see that the spouse may consent to having one half of the gift be considered as if given by them. It doesn't matter how the property was titled (single or jointly) because you could have first given one half to your spouse (without any gift tax consequences) who would have then given it to the ultimate donee.

See and
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.