Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am considering giving a stock gift to my 19 year old son and the value is about $15,000. To avoid paying gift taxes, can I use gift splitting with my wife even though the stock is held in my name only or will I have to use a portion of my unified credit?


Yes, you may use the marital consent on your annual Form 709 (US Gift Tax Return) where a spouse elects to treat all gifts as though made one-half by him/her. In fact, if the spouse has made no gifts directly and the donee exclusions exceed the split gifts, the consenting spouse will not require a gift tax return.

Depending on your age and plans to hold or sell the stock, you may want to gift cash to your son. That's another subject and don't hesitate to email if you would like to discuss.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.