Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am curious with the experience of others post bankruptcy in obtaining credit. Does anyone have any experiences similar to mine as far as receiving solicitations are concerned? Has anyone been able to get an auto loan and if so, at what rate of interest? What has been your experience in obtaining a mortgage? Many prospective employers check credit nowadays. How has bankruptcy impacted upon your ability to get a job? Please share your experiences. Thanks.

It's been almost ten years since we filed Chapter 7. We also got credit from Providian and Cross Country. But their rates are usurious and Cross charges $100 for every $300 increase. I recommend not taking all their increase offers. Now that we both have good paying jobs, we have a card with a substantial limit at our credit union. This year I paid off my Providian and closed the account. The other is for severe emergencies. Having automatic deposit at my credit union has really helped us. They are much more likely to extend credit if you have it.

Five years after our bankruptcy, we applied for a loan for a used car, 17.5%! If you absolutely have to buy a car, get a used one and shop around. 2 years ago, my husband was able to lease a mid size at a good rate through GMC. The farther in time you get away from your bk, and the more money you make, the better your chances are of getting a good rate.

We were able to get a mortgage with a Veterans Administration certificate for a good rate. I probably helped that we did not own a home before the bk. I sure that without the certificate, we would not have qualified until after the ten year period. Again, having a great salary helps.

My husband had no problem getting a management job. Our bk was filed when we were 25 yrs, a fairly typical story. Loads of cc debt from college, loss of both our jobs in the same year, at the height of the last recession. His employer did check, but it was not an obstacle.

Good luck,
Beth

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.