Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am custodian of a UGMA for a friend of mine. She is 14 now and my hope is she uses it for college expenses. Here in NJ, I have to turn it over to her when she is 21. There are some rules that would permit me to give some to her earlier than that, but I hope not to.

When the time comes, do I just notify my broker that it is hers? I assume she needs to open an account there (unless she wants it all out in cash). Assumning she has an account at the time, do I just do a transfer from her UGMA to her cash account? Or can she get title to the account that is now titled UGMA FBOmyFriend?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.