No. of Recommendations: 16
I am faced with the luxurious problem of pulling out cash for things I simply want. It feels unnatural. I'm certain I'm not the first person to ever experience this. For those who've gone through this, what advice can you offer?

Welcome to the club!

Think of it this way, (speaking to yourself in the third person): "You've saved and invested all your life for retirement. Now you are there, you've reached your goal and it is time to effectuate the next step of your plan."

It is a major change in your thinking. Before you have saved for 30-40 years and now you are reversing and taking money out instead of putting money in. That's a habit you have now ingrained, but is no longer the objective. You just have to tell yourself that that was then and this is now, and each phase had different tasks. The task for the 2nd phase is different from the task of the 1st phase.

Just set your new plan to be the 4% SWR. 4% withdrawal the first year, then each subsequent year bump up the dollar amount withdrawal by CPI inflation. Treat it like a paycheck--put it in your checking (and perhaps savings) account and spend it as long as there is money in that account.

Although---even after 10 years it is sometimes hard for me to make that withdrawal. But my wife continually reminds me that SOMEBODY is going to be spending our retirement money on sports cars and round-the-world cruises----so it might as well be us.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.