Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am in the market for a new Volvo XC90 (likely 2.5T/FWD trim), and am trying to get some info on pricing and negotiations.

I have the option of using Ford/Volvo X-Plan program (Ford Partner Recognition) -- as best as I can tell, the X-Plan prices appear to be 2% over invoice (numbers from edmunds.com). Edmunds claims the True Market Value (TMV, supposedly the average price paid in my area, Central Texas) of the vehicle is at MSRP, although I don't know if this information is valid and correct.

This is my first new car purchase, and first at a dealer (two used car purchases from private party), so I am on some unfamiliar ground, although I have read the Fool car buying info. I also looked into Costco Auto Buying program, and the only participating Volvo dealer is 600 miles away, so that option is essentially out.

I am wondering whether it would be possible to get a better deal compared to the X-Plan prices for the XC90? Given that the model is a relatively popular, and there is only one dealer in town, I am not sure if they would be willing to negotiate much. I am trying to get a sense of whether it is possible to come out significantly better using Fool-style email-blast or fax-blast (with dealers in other nearby cities) compared to going with the fixed X-Plan pricing.

Any thoughts or recommendations are very much appreciated.

-S

We purchased through the X-plan about two years ago. They show you (or should anyway) a sheet with four numbers:

1)MSRP of the car
2)What the car REALLY costs them (i.e. without "holdback")
3)What they are selling it to you for: this was #2 * 1.04
4)Your "savings"

We tried negotiating first; could not get a better deal than the X-plan. We bought near year end; got an addt'l $2K in incentives. Overall, we got a MSRP of $23,500 car for $19,200, including about $1500 sales tax and licensing fees (tax is charged on the reduced price). FWIW; we walked into a dealer and asked for the X-plan price on the car and they gave it to us in about 5 minutes.

Jump on the X-plan
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.