Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I am in the process of updating beneficiaries to 401(k), traditional IRA and Roth accounts. The current primary beneficiaries are (in some cases) my spouse and (in some other cases) my children. Does it make a difference taxwise who my beneficiaries are?

I would ignore the tax situation and focus on what you really want to accomplish with any assets that survive you. Your beneficiaries have no obligation to share amongst themselves. So any jiggering you do for tax purposes could interfere with your wishes.

As to direct tax consequences, there aren't any with regard to inheritances at the federal level. Some states still have an inheritance tax assessed against the beneficiaries, but spouses and direct descendents are usually exempt.

The only possible issue with leaving too much to your spouse is that you might push the total assets of the second-to-die over the estate tax threshold. Of course, from where we stand today, who knows what will happen with regard to estate tax.

Ira
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.