Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am kind of in the middle of this issue. I would like to see an increase of the foreign content rule to 35% but I agree that a full elimination of the rule would be disadvantegeous to Canadian business, especially smaller business that might need the help and the time to move from start up to world player. In a vacuum it is very easy to say that the free market will determine the success and failures in an industry. However, in this global economy the Federal Government should provide help to Canadian business because they can be at a competitive disadvantage to their American counterparts. This question has always been around. Should the government legislate this help or should natural selection take over. There was a large uproar when the government came up with the CANCON regulations in the music industry a while back but does anyone now question that without these 'restrictive' regulations we would not have the volume of great Canadian talent that populate the music industry today. Sure, the superstars such as Celine Dion, Sarah McLaughlin and Bryan Adams would have excelled, but would others such as The Hip or Barenaked Ladies have received air time on Canadian Stations anyother way?

Thanks,

Darren
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.