Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
I am not a fan of 529 plans at all. What happens if the child doesn't go to college or gets a full ride scholarship somewhere?

I am a fan of 529's.

IMO if the child doesn't go to college, the money in the 529 goes to someone else (their sibling, their kids)
But I don't have a question of whether my kids (or my sibling's kids) go to college, but only a matter of where.

If the kid gets a full tuition scholarship, great! In that case, that undoubtedly means they are going to be attending full time - which means that room and board (at least what it costs for dorm room and dorm food) is also a qualified higher education expense and can be paid for by 529 without penalty.
If they get a scholarship/grants that covers tuition, books, room and board, then they are very very fortunate indeed. And in that unlikely case, the 529 money could be saved for a graduate degree or used for the sibling or cousin who wasn't able to get such a nice deal.

Worst-case, you take the money out and pay the 10% penalty.
But most likely there isn't a need to do that.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.