Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
i am not going to address a number of comments above, i think things will get clearer as you read more and hear more. i try to use direct language in my posts so that the information i am trying to convey is as clear as possible, it is not my intent to slur anyone, if i want to do that i will do so clearly and directly, but i generally don't. i will deal with whatever i can deal with in your post bit by bit:

-'I e-mailed my doctor back yesterday asking him if the additional tests will determine which type of diabetes I have. He wrote back that based on my blood sugar level and the age of presentation (I'm 52) that I have Type 2.'

yes, this is statistically most likely, but by no means certain. Most people who have Type 1 get it before early twenties. However, a minority do get type 1 at later ages. It is most likely caused by an autoimmune response to a viral infection, your immune system sets about destroying the beta cells of your pancreas that produce insulin. when they are destroyed, you can't make insulin. there you have it, type 1.

there is no "blurring of the lines" between type 1 and type 2. people with type 1 don't produce insulin, period. people with type 2 don't respond well to the insulin they make, some excrete elevated amounts of insulin. the only blurring may have to do with the fact that some people with type 2 do end up on insulin, when all else fails to control their sugar levels.

-'So I'm going to learn how to eat correctly to manage my own diabetes, and perhaps this will inspire my Dad to give it another try. If I manage my diabetes well, does this mean that I can avoid going on injections?'

yes, one will learn a lot about nutrition. don't worry too much about your dad, 80 is a nice accomplishment. each person has to do what they can live with, and he has clearly lived a long time and probably has some more years, let him live, make your peace, focus on you.

you may or may not avoid injections, only time will tell. the thing to avoid is living with a guilt scenario. definitely do the best you can and this will likely improve your chances for minimal therapeutic intervention. but if you do the best you can, then it is likely that whatever happens is out of your control and not something to blame yourself for. don't worry about avoiding therapies, injections are not so bad, but what you need to keep your mind on is doing everything you can so that you can avoid the "complications" of not being in good control, if that requires injections, so be it!

-'Last night a friend told me of a friend who had Type 2. She said he was able to make the disease go away in four years with diet and exercise. I thought that once one develops diabetes one always has it?'

She is correct, some cases of type 2 can be brought under complete control by diet and exercise. i suspect that such individuals will always have the potential to relapse if they lapse into bad habits, but yes in certain individuals no permanent therapeutic intervention is required.

-'tingling'

likely a symptom of the onset of some mild neuropathy associated with chronic hyperglycemia. it will likely disappear once you are under good control.

-'nausea'

and all the other stuff you talked about at the end is something you need to take up with your doc, and don't forget the nutritionist/diabetic educator. it seems you are on multiple therapies, and this is then not strictly in the realm of just diabetes, it may or may not be and your doc is your best adviser since you seem to have a good relationship w/him. regards
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.