No. of Recommendations: 3
I am partway through a book called "Living Longer, Living Better" by Jane Porcino.
The book is about "Community Housing", which includes Retirement Communities. The thing about it that got me a-thinkin' is that it discusses *many* different housing options.
One part of the book in particular discusses the idea of sharing housing with others, kind of like Joe Dominguez and Vicky Robin (Your Money Or Your Life authors.
I had always dismissed the idea of living with "roommates", but in many ways a Nursing Home/Multiple Level Of Care facility can be just that.
The book also has a bunch of AARP survey data that is enlightening.
Another interesting thing is to think of "Living Arrangements" as a continuum. At one extreme is a Nursing Home (expensive and homogeneous-full of old people) at the other is living in your own detached house in the country. In between are many possibilities... condominiums could be thought of as a form of shared living arrangement with a private living/eating space and shared common space.

Food for thought.
If there's enough interest, I can give some more info from the book.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.